Saturday, July 21, 2012

1, 2, 3 Magic

1, 2, 3 Magic is a procedure for classroom discipline.  It was recommended to me by a fellow teacher who had seen great results from it in a fourth grade classroom.  The basic ideas behind it is very much common sense, and I think that is why it works. It emphasizes no arguing, discussing, or "adult tantruming" with children when they are exhibiting disruptive behavior.  The kids get three chances before taking a "timeout" for 5 minutes.  I really like the idea of them getting three chances (in the form of one word warnings), but the idea of a timeout makes me very nervous.  With my background in Applied Behavior Analysis, I know that many behaviors are maintained by escape.  The students don't want to do the work so they act out and escape or delay the task.  That is the last thing that I want to do, so if I am going to use 1, 2, 3 Magic, I am going to have to come up with a timeout that is less desirable than the tasks at hand.  I am thinking about having them fill out a "poor choice form" during this time.  Hopefully, filling out one of these would be less fun than whatever activity we are doing in the "time-in" situation.  Click here to get the poor choice form I made for free.


I am also wondering if it is possible to use the 1, 2, 3 Magic program with a clip chart?  I love the idea of letting kids clip up as well as clip down.  Has anyone out there used both together?  If you have and would like to give me some ideas/advice, that would be great!  I gladly welcome any ideas!!!


I am really big into positive reinforcement, but I do understand the need for consequences as well (why I like the 1, 2, 3 Magic procedure).  I want the biggest part of my discipline procedures to be positive reinforcement, so I am debating on exactly how to use the 1, 2, 3 Magic program in my room.  I was thinking about a classroom economy (I used one with my kindergarteners last year, and it worked really well), but I am wondering if it will be too complicated for my first year in fourth grade.  I have also seen some great ideas on Pinterest, like the idea of Sparklers from Mrs. McHaffie's blog.  I just can't make up my mind yet!  I better be figuring things out quickly...I only have a few weeks until school starts!  Wahoo!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment